I have been using the new editor for two or three months already and I would like to share some of my thoughts/questions/suggestions/ideas that popped up in my mind in the meantime.
- Why is it not possible to merge segments at will? Documents in our company have many sentences chopped off in the middle and it infuriates me that I cannot merge them only because they were not split previously. Could you guys please make it possible?
- We use codyt mode and I am wondering, why I cannot see who undertook the translation of the document? What we do now is leave a comment when accepting a job, because otherwise it would be impossible to know which of my colleages is translating the document! Or maybe I'm just not smart enough to check it the "proper" way?
- How to access comments to the job after opening it in the new editor? I can leave comments easily but how can I see them? I know how to do that from the job list or from the old editor, but how to do this from new editor? If it's not possible - why? If it's possible - why is it so counter-intuitive that I cannot find it after 2 months of using the new editor?
- I have set my editor to show 100 segments at once. My logic tells me it should show segments no. 1 to 100 on the first page, 101 to 200 on the second etc. The new editor, however, shows 100 segments, but it thinks that a split segment is two segments – so for example, in one of my documents page 6 shows segments no 477 to 575.
- The undo combo “CTRL+Z” behaviour is funky. When I try to undo some changes in a segment, it sometimes undoes a whole sentence, sometimes a word or two, sometimes it even pastes some random sentence from another segment inside the one I try to undo. Also, when I try to undo when creating a comment, it undoes changes in the last segment I have been working on – not in the comment itself. CTRL-Z feels like a really basic function, so I hope it can be resolved quickly.
- Adding new repository entries is a pain right now. The window for adding new entry covers the whole editor screen and it cannot be minimized, so if I want to add a new entry, I have to copy source or target language phrase, paste it, and then write the translation/source expression from memory. I already wrote about it before, but haven’t seen any improvements. What I hope for is: smaller window for adding new repositories (right now the window has loads of unnecessary whitespace), ability to minimize the window and move it around. I have marked some of the wasted space in the screenshot below.
Also – when I add a repository from within a job, why the language I am translating is set as “Translation” and the one I am translating to is “Source”? See below: when I translate from Chinese to Polish, why is Chinese marked as “Translation(s)” and Polish as “Source”?
These are only the complaints that I remember off the top of my head, and from my perspective these are very basic things that should work with no issues.